There's No Place Like Home

What a crazy week. I spent the entire week feeling more tired than usual and then Thursday, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I came home feeling like I was at the beginning of a chest cold. I was a little tired, feverish and heavy in the chest. Then by 7:30 pm I laid down and I struggled to breath. I felt like my heart was going to pound right out of my chest. As I debated going to the ER, I recalled a few of my past ER experiences where they just sent me home with little or no diagnosis after a couple of hours of waiting, so I decided to just wait and see if it passed.

I thought it did. I woke in the morning and my fever was gone. I was still a little tight in the chest, but I could breathe and my heart wasn’t racing. I even went to work. I called my doctor first thing. She wasn’t in the office but one of her partners asked me to come in right away. After listening to my account and listening to my chest he deduced that I had a viral infection in my lungs that was triggering a severe asthmatic reaction. I’ve had asthma for a while but it only acts up when I have a lung infection or I get very, very upset. So the doc prescribed an inhaler and a Z-Pack. I dropped the prescription off at the pharmacy, they said it would be 45 minutes before it would be ready so I headed back to work.

By noon though, I was starting to feel a little worse and by 1:30, I was having some difficulty breathing. I called Mike and asked him to pick me up because I wasn’t sure if I should drive. By the time Mike arrived about 30 minutes later, I had nearly lost my breath entirely and vomited 3 times on the patio. I had taken a turn for the worst and fast. I was terrified and even thought I might be dying. When Mike arrived, I felt like I couldn’t move from spot. I mouthed at him that I needed his help and he got out and helped me to the car. We went straight to the ER.

Ended up what started out as a lung infection, rapidly turned into pneumonia. I spent the rest of the weekend in the hospital. I was on oxygen for about 20 hours and then on IV antibiotics and breathing treatments. Released today and I’m so glad to be home. I’m feeling much better, but the doc has said no work for a week. I’m sure they’ll survive, but I’m a little scared to think of what I’ll be going back to. Oh, well. I suppose I shouldn’t think about that. The baby and I are home and well and getting better by the day.



  1. Michele said,

    December 6, 2004 at 7:43 am

    OMG Jen! I was so scared for you just reading this!!! Thank God you and the baby are safe. I am so glad you are home and feeling better and you went to the ER. Many hugs and love to you.

  2. Toni said,

    December 12, 2004 at 10:07 pm

    Reading that scared the you know what out of me. I hope you are feeling better, take care of yourself and I love you. Toni

  3. March 4, 2005 at 11:08 pm

    payday cash loan

    In your free time, check out the sites in the field of auto loan cash loan college loan

%d bloggers like this: